Website design guidelines and tips – just
Design website guidelines, build websites, design websites, create websites.
Below are some design guidelines and tips to help you build a user friendly websites.
1. First, outline what you want to do and make a plan for it. This may involves some brain storming. Then, convert your ideas and plans onto paper by drawing a diagram or a flowchart so that you can visualize it. Then, proceed on it.
2. Keep your design simple, clear, steady and user friendly.
3. Make simplelayoutdesignit makes easier for you to build your website. The ending result will be a website which your guests will find easy to navigate and easy get whatever information they want.
4. Your content should be simple, absolute and direct to the point. It should make clear the aim of your website, cover the subject topic thoroughly and convey the messages direct to your visitors.
5. If your design looksdifficult, redesign and simplify it. Complicated design or layout will only make it harder for you to build your WebPages. It may also confuse your visitors if your site is full of complicated confusion of information.
6. be consistent throughout in your design approach. The background color, and text format should be carefully selected and the screen layout for all your pages visibly consistent.
7. Create a simple logo that will identity your website. Have aattractive tag line somewhere with the header, and write an About Us page which describes the uniqueness of your website. These will impression your visitors to remember your website. Make a copyright statement at the bottom of your web pages.
8. Have a clear color system based on the theme of your website. Choose carefully a set of colors you use for your text, border, background, tables and cells etc. The color scheme expresses the characters of your website and makes it look unique and attractive.
9. Know and identify who you are your target visitors and how you would make your website presentation. Decide the nature of language usage and the approach that will best suit your visitors. Whether your language usage should be simple or formal and technical? Whether you should use graphic or language oriented approach in your website.
10. For no difficulty of reading, the length of a text lines should not surpass certain width within the computer screen. To limit the length of a line of text content, use indent text or use a table with the pre-set width.
11. Long blocks of text passages can be tedious and active to read. Try to useshort paragraphs, short sentences, and bulleted or numbered list form to break them up.
12. The width of you webpages should rather not exceed that of the computer screen. People viewing your site usually don’t mind scrolling up and down the screen but will be upset when they have to scroll left and right.
13. Font size:- use larger size font; Bear in mind that some of your visitors may have poor eyesight; some can have partial impaired vision and some ordinary people who just cannot stand reading tiny words on the computer screen.
14. The text color should contrast well with the background color to be easily read set black as font color. Background image or text chosen should contrast well with the text color, so that it is easy to see and read on screen.
15. It looks good on the screen and soothing to the eyes. But it is not suggested to use white text on a dark background. When somebody wants to print out your page for reference, it wIll not print because the background will not be printed, while the white text is printed on white paper, you see nothing.
16. The images you put in a webpage are not there just for beautification. They should be relevant and necessary to use as visual to help to understandthe message, or serve to break a long and dull text messages.
17. Limit the size of an image you insert in a your webpage. Large image takes longer time to display, and most visitors don’t like to wait long to view a certain image.
18. Keep the size of a web page small so that it will open up fast preferably less than 7 seconds. If the page is too long, have too many items to load and slow to display, you should reflect breaking it into smaller pages and link them up.
19. Contents like video, audio, and flash animations etc. are big in size. They wil slow down spped the display of the webpage. If it takes too long for to load a web page, the viewers could give up and leave. They use up more of your bandwidth.
20. Ensure that the visitors get around navigating website, with ease. They should be able to find what they are looking for in quickly and essay. Use a image map or menu , a site map, arrows, links and buttons to provide good direction to your visitors.
21. Make sure the pages are linked to each other for easy navigation. Links should be well planned, strategically placed and easy to detect by using appropriate colors e.g blue, Use anchor links to enable navigation on the same page. Always check for any broken links and replace them.
22. Load all the important and essential information in the first page that visitors can see easily. Give a quick introduction to your website with concise header, book marked lists, short summaries, menu etc. This will quickly let them know whether your web page is what they are looking for.
23. How do your website screen layout look neat and tidy? Ask an important person to have a look at it and get feedback. You will be surprised!
24. The contents inside a table are supposed to have a little space between the borders. Set padding around the set or table indent to your content.
25. Don’t simply add every neat attention-grabber and animated images you can find just because you think they are cool. In reality they are distracting and confuse.
26. Make a decision whether to use or not to use pop-up windows. They are great for catching the attention of the visitors but can be distracting and annoying as well. Some o f your website viewers would dismiss pop-up as ads and close it immediately. Pop-up also will not work if the viewers have installed a pop-up blocker software.
27. Give confidence to visitors to contact you by creating a Contact Us page with your email link. It is even better to have an opt-in box that serves to collect visitors’ contact and data.
28. Cheek other website design and set up. See how they layout and put in order their header, links, menu, buttons, images and etc. Then choose, take on and modify whichever design that suits your need.
29. Use website templates if you don’t have any designing style.
30. Make a back-up copy for all your web pages. It will save you a lot of trouble in the event that you have to rebuild your websites or some sever issue.
Here are Some website design guidelines and tips are based on common research. Well, some website design guidelines and tips – It’s all common sense. How to design and build your own websites” It is written for anyone who wants to design and build websites in 8 hours with simple, easy to follow step by step guidelines.